Material: 200gsm velvet paper
Size: 33cm x 48cm
Copyright IcarusWorkshop © 2018. All Rights Reserved
Ares, the Greek god of War, holding a bomb.
Call Sign: ARES (Mars)
The emblem of the squadron took its present form in 1974. The god has been «modernized» in relation to the earlier emblem, since instead of a spear he is holding a 2000 lb bomb. At the background there is the international mascot of the F-4 Phantom, Spooky, as the squadron operates with this type of aircraft for more than 40 years. Inside the emblem there the inscription «H TAN H ΕΠΙ TAΣ», the phrase Spartan mothers used to say to their sons when they handed over the shield for the battle: «Return with the shield or (be carried) upon it».
The 338 Squadron was formed on December 24th, 1952, at Elefsis AB, as 338 Fighter Bomber Squadron, equipped with the F-84G Thunderjet aircraft.
In April 1953, the Squadron was deployed to Larissa where it stayed till November 1956, and thereafter was redeployed to the 112 Combat Wing.
In May 1958 it was incorporated into the 115 CW at Souda AB till January 1960, when it was disbanded. It was formed again in August 1964 equipped with F-84F Thunderstreak aircraft.
In June 1974 the Squadron redeployed at 117CW in Andravida AB, where the F-4E Phantom II were delivered.
In March 1975 the squadron was fully operational.
In 1981, the mobile training team of the US Air Force (USAF), participated in the new squadron’s training tactics. There was an exchange of F-4E aircraft of 338Sqn with those of 337Sqn of 110CW in the same year.
On 5th of August, 1991, the squadron replaced the old aircraft with upgraded version of F-4E coming from US stocks, the F-4E Southeastern Regional Agreement (SRA), their operational use beginning on 12th of October the same year.
At the end of 1997, after 23 years of service, HAF decided to upgrade the aircraft purchased under the programs Peace Icarus I and Peace Icarus II.
On December 18th, 2002, the delivery ceremony of the first upgraded aircraft was held in the Hellenic Aviation Industry facilities, and so began the integration of the upgraded aircraft in 117CW. These aircrafts were delivered to 338 and 339 Squadrons. After the modernization, the Squadron assumed fighter bomber missions, with results comparable to those of third generation aircraft.
In 2004, 338 squadron participated for the first time in the Tactical Leadership Program in Belgium.